Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Bookseller of Kabul


I was wondering why do we read a particular book-fiction, non-fiction doesn't matter. I was just wondering why do we read it?
So i thought we read some because someone suggests us that particular novel or we like its review or a movie based on the book makes us read it.
All the above reasons are all right in their place. But the interesting reads are the novels which we choose to read or buy just because we like its title!
I find this particular reason interesting because its like taking a gamble because if the author is new to you, you wouldn't know his style of writing and all. Most of the times i pick up books whose names interest me and then i read their summary.
'The Kite Runner' and 'Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini were two such amazing books that i read just because i liked their titles. And then any book about Afghanistan's culture, its people, their life interests me.
Currently i am reading 'The Bookseller of Kabul' by Asne Seierstad. She is a Norwegian journalist.
The book is about a bookseller named Sultan and his family. How the Taliban era, the Soviet era and the Mujahideen era affect his business. The pains he takes and the pains he inflicts upon his family for the love of selling books.
The book also talks about the suffering of Afghan women. Their life actually their life in a burkaa. How families treat women as some exchange ornament whom they can exchange for few thousand Afganis to an old widow with 10 children.
The book talks about Sultans sons who have been forced to quit school and join the family business of book selling.
It is a compelling read and involves the reader into it which according to me is the sign of a good book.
So i recommend this book to you all. I rate it 6/10.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this post is nice, my younger sister is analyzing these things,
    so I am going to inform her.

    Here is my page diets that work fast
    my page - diet that works

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete